about we eat for real

Food, particularly real food that is whole, unprocessed, or clean, is my passion.  My education/training is in school psychology, not in the culinary world.  I am, by no means, a nutrition expert, nor am I a formally trained chef.

I am, however, constantly educating myself about food and the food industry.  I make food choices based on what I know at any given point in time.  My food choices and habits evolve as I learn.  I try to make educated food decisions that are in the best interest of my family.  My viewpoint may differ than yours.  No worries, there is plenty of room for alternative views on food.  Just know that on We Eat For Real, the focus is on real food.

What you’ll find on We Eat For Real are weekly meal plans or individual recipes prepared in my kitchen by me or my daughter.  I scour recipes for inspiration and tweak them to meet my lifestyle.  Weekly meals typically include at least one snack and four to five meals eaten by yours truly, my husband, and our daughter.  Individual recipes are stand alone, go to favorites.

we eat for real food philosophy

90/10 – My family eats real 90% of the time.  The other 10% is less than real.  It is not possible for me to prepare every meal and snack, and be a wife, mom, and school psychologist. For me, there just are not enough hours in the day.  We eat at restaurants, at birthday parties, at school parties (though sometimes I cringe), at tailgating events, at office parties, etc., and we don’t look back.  We are not going to miss out on the social aspect of eating.  We do life with people and isolating ourselves because the food is not real is not how we do life.

I typically use the dirty dozen and clean 15 as my guide for buying groceries, particularly organic groceries.  I do not buy everything organic.  100% organic isn’t realistic from budgetary or availability standpoints.  I eat foods in their most natural state as much as possible. I avoid genetically modified foods (more about non-GMO here) and foods without, or with the least amount of,  pesticides whenever possible.  I choose healthy fats and pass on fat free and low fat options.  Nut butters, avocados, real butter, and olive oil are staples that we consume regularly.  Meat (including eggs) is another area where organic, grass fed, and free roaming is important to me.  Foods that are refined or processed (and full of processed sugars) are avoided. As of more recently, we are focusing on minimizing cow based dairy intake. Regardless of the dairy type, organic is always preferred.

If you are not familiar with eating real, whole, unprocessed, clean, etc., start here: 100 Days of Real Food. This is one of my favorite websites for information, resources, and recipes.    

To put it simply, We Eat (For) Real as much as possible.


%d bloggers like this: